November 2, 2012
6:00am wake up! The excitement for the trip is starting to
build, first things first I pack the MOST important items… Passport, wallet,
C&A Pro Skis, Woody’s Traction studs, Leatt neck brace, underwear aaaand
toothbrush! Priorities right? So I load my commuter car into the race trailer
because I will be flying back to Edmonton from Minneapolis on the return trip.
Fuel up the diesel, say a few goodbyes and reset the trip meter!
10:00am and I finally get out of Fort Mcmurray. Roads are looking good, no new snow and temps
around 5 degrees C . I’m thinking I can
probably make up some lost time, which for the most part I was right … right up
until I get 10kms north of Redwater AB the truck starts making a horrendous
growling noise from the front end, so I slow down and the noise turns from a
growl into a clack, clack, clack. So much for making good time.. Now I’m
thinking I’m really glad I packed some winter Nomex jacket and pants and a tool
kit! I get suited up and roll under the truck to assess the damage, front
driveshaft has come almost apart.. CRAP. Some cuss words and a few bashed
knuckles later I had it out and back on the road again (in perma 2wd now) By
this time it’s late in the afternoon and I abandon the idea of making it to
Kamloops tonight. I give a friend in Edmonton a call he invites me over some
for some adult beverages and lets me crash on his couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment